D2L refers to plagiarism detection as “originality checking.” If this option is selected within an Assignment folder, D2L will check all submitted files for matches in Turnitin’s database of Internet sources, academic journals and publications, and student papers. Turnitin works for the following document types: MS Word, WordPerfect, PostScript, PDF, HTML, RTF, and plain text.
Turnitin provides an overall originality score, which counts all
matched text in a document, even if it is properly cited. Always look at
the full originality report to verify plagiarism. The report will
highlight match text and provide a link to the original source.
Enable Plagiarism Detection for a Assignment Folder
- Select the dropdown arrow next to the Assignment folder name.
- Select Edit Folder.
- The Edit Folder page will open. Select the Turnitin tab.
- To enable originality checking, select Enable GradeMark for this folder, and Enable Originality Check for this folder.
- To allow users to see the originality score, select Allow learners to see Turnitin similarity scores in their Assignment folder.
- To change which files in the folder are submitted to Turnitin:
- Select Automatic originality checking on all Assignment to have any file in the folder checked
- Select Identify individual Assignment for originality checking to choose which files in the folder are checked
- Click the Save and Close button. Originality reports will be available after files have been submitted to the Assignment folder.
Note: In order for students to access feedback provided via the Feedback Studio, students must have access to the originality scores. To provide students with access to the originality scores, select Allow learners to see Turnitin similarity scores in their Assignment folder while customizing originality checking settings for the Assignment folder.
View Originality Reports
Originality reports can take time to generate after a file has been
submitted to Turnitin. Usually it only takes a few minutes, but
sometimes it can take up to 24 hours.
- Select the name of an Assignment folder to view the files submitted to it.
- In the list of submissions, the indicators under the column heading Turnitin Similarity have a percentage that indicates the percent of the paper that Turnitin matched in its database. If plagiarism detection is enabled after files have been submitted, select the Submit File to Turnitin icon, in the Turinitin Similarity column,to submit the file to Turnitin manually. The icon will be replaced with “In Progress” until this process is complete.
- In the Similarity column, select the colored box [A] to see the full originality report.
- Select the pencil icon [B] to open the Feedback Studio.